The Mission of the Museum
The Museum shall:
- Promote the protection and preservation of objects, specimens, records, sites and other artifacts of significance to the natural history and human history of Cranberry Portage and the immediate outlying area.
- Maximize the educational use and enjoyment of the collection by the public.
- Maximize the educational use of the collection through pertinent school programs.
- Promote heritage preservation by private collectors within the community.
Cranberry Portage is a small community with no outlying area such as a farming community.
It has been a community of changing resources and that means a number of changes in population. A great number of the people that were here and are here are so in relationships to their jobs, which are thought of as term positions (here a few years and then move on).
Through the Museum the people that have chosen to stay and build a community to take pride in will be able to understand how this community has weathered all the changes and why Cranberry Portage is a great place to live, raise children, and to retire.
Our children will without doubt benefit from education about their heritage.
A Museum will also benefit the community by encouraging tourists to choose Cranberry as an excellent place to spend their holidays.
- Building Acquisition has been completed and we can now proceed with restoration to transform the railway station which has been declared as a heritage site into a museum that will be a featured attraction for the town of Cranberry Portage.
- Continue cataloguing and preserving existing collection
- Expand Membership
- Create interactive Web Site
- Expand Archival Collection
- Create Address Book of Past Residents of Cranberry Portage.